Tuesday, November 18, 2003

My first love

There were two great unrealized loves of my childhood. The first was Kellie Grace. I fell in love with Kellie right away in the first grade. I think everyone thought she was cute or wished they could 'go' with her. But I know I loved her more deeply than anyone else did. It's not possible that any other boy outstripped my love for her.

I was already sensitive to girls by first grade. In Kindergarten I had been attracted to a cute little girl named Heather and a girl who rode my bus named Tracey (we three were later reunited, to no appreciable affect, in junior high and high school).

I never 'went' with Kellie. I never had a chance. I don't think it was ever an option. By fifth and sixth grade she was 'going' with seventh and eighth graders. I knew if I was going to have a chance of 'going' with anyone, of having a girlfriend, I would have to set my sights 'lower' (meaning no disrespect to anyone I ever 'went' with. Those were the social realities of elementary school.).

Chad, of course, 'went' with Kellie multiple times, probably at least once a year. He also 'went' with all of the other pretty and popular girls - Chrissy Schwarting, Camille Wagner, and, later, Danette Pegump. Chad played in a different league than me.

To add to my ardor, our bus picked Kellie up everyday on the way to school. There she was, in front of me all the time, but always unattainable. I wonder where she is today and what she's doing.